Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Friday, April 22, 2011

An Elvis Excursion

Our house in located on top of a hill and we have no neighbors behind us. What does this mean? Free roam for the dogs to dig, smell, chase, bark, and MANY other things their mischievous minds can think of.  Usually on a Friday or Saturday night you can find us outside on the back porch shooting the breeze with friends as ALL of our dogs are playing till their hearts' content. It really is a "dog's life" on our hill. 
I'm certain most of Elvis's thoughts are consumed with "When can I go back outside??" ; "I can't wait to DIG!!"; "It's night...the shrews are out. I must hunt."  He will stay out for HOURS keeping himself fully occupied and zoned in with his "task" at hand.  He's in full miniature dachshund mode and it can be hilarious to watch at times. 

This particular night he stopped to grace those of us on the porch with his presence. How he looked makes my skin crawl!! The grass on the side of the hill hadn't been cut in some time and these little seeds stick to the dogs like glue.

You can see his friend Batey here checkin' him out sayin' "BOY! What you got all of  you?"

And here's a full frontal of all those SEEDS!!!

I don't know what about it makes my skin crawl, but the look of it just grosses me out (and I hate havin' to pick them off). It's like he has some sort of skin condition or leprosy, but he LOVES every minute he has to explore his hill. 

Oh yeah, this is a shrew. Never heard of them until I came here. Many little shrew graves exist in our backyard thanks to Elvis and Max.
When they find one, we hear high pitched squeaks for a few minutes and then SILENCE.
(I'm just glad they aren't cats and bring it as a gift from them to me)

0 comments: